Orangeburg South Carolina History
The American history of Orangeburg, South Carolina, dates back more than 300 years, until a man named George Sterling established a fur trading post in 1704.
He married in North Carolina in 1799 and later founded Aiken County and had his first child, John Sterling, who was born in Orangeburg before coming to South Carolina in 1817. He had two sons, George Sterling Jr. (1797-1842) and John Henry Sterling (1814-1794), who were born at the same time as his wife after they had come from South Korea.
It is one of the longest and largest river systems, located entirely within the boundaries of South Carolina. It is the second longest river system in the United States after the Mississippi River and originates in Orangeburg, North Carolina, north of Greenville County and is an important source of water for the state's water supply and drinking water supply.
South Carolina State University is known for having one of the largest undergraduate programs in the state of South Carolina with more than 1,000 students. It is a private college in Orangeburg, which is a major college in its own right and is also home to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the College of Charleston, both public universities.
The IP Stanback Museum and Planetarium, named after the late professor of South Carolina State University and former president of the university, is located in Orangeburg. The building is part of the Santee, South Carolina cotton mill, built in 1897 on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The original document was destroyed when General Sherman's army invaded Orangeburg in 1865 and his troops burned down the Orangeburg courtyard house. Despite an official apology from the government, most survivors of the Orangeberg massacre feel that South Carolina continues to suppress knowledge of what really happened. The state of South Carolina has closed the book on the Oranienburg massacre, though no one has been held responsible for the students killed or injured that night.
While most people know the names of the students killed at Kent State in the 1970s, few know about the Orangeburg Massacre, the largest mass murder in US history. The Orangeberg massacre took place on 14 April 1864 in a dormitory at the University of South Carolina in Oranienburg. It triggered a series of protests that culminated in three deaths and 27 injuries, as well as the deaths of two students and two police officers. In the early hours of April 15, 1865, another massacre occurred in Orangeburgh, when a dispute between two groups of students at a public school in Orangesburg ended fatally after a highway patrol officer opened fire.
Hammond Smith, a student at South Carolina State University, was killed and 27 other students were injured. It was a terrible incident that ended with the deaths of two students, two police officers and a police officer, as well as the killing of two other students and 27 other students at a public school in Orangesburg.
On the day of the shooting, South Carolina Governor Robert E. McNair said, "This is one of those sad days" and "one of our saddest days. In 2001, South Columbia Governor Jim Hodges apologized on behalf of his state, and in 2009 Orangeburg Mayor Paul Miller apologized for the city. He also sent a telegram to President Lyndon B. Johnson, saying that the deaths in Orangeburg "are in the hands of a small group of people, not in the hands of the government or the police.
The rectory was consecrated that year at the annual conference of the South Carolina Tribunity Methodist Church and rededicated as Orangeburg Presbyterian Church on July 1, 2009.
Vendors and hundreds of students gathered to protest the closure of the private facility by the Regent Board of South Carolina State University. Students gathered in the parking lot of Orangeburg Presbyterian Church on the corner of Main and Main Streets. In a nonviolent demonstration, 1,000 demonstrators led by Charles McDew of South Columbia gathered at the intersection of South Main Street and Alley Street, the main entrance to the church.
The South Carolina Convention of Secession was led by his son David Flavel Jamison, who helped find the citadel, and slavery advocates George Washington and James Madison lived nearby. To further reinforce the sense of impending disaster, on June 12, 1864, South Columbia Governor Robert McNair called together the National Guard for the first time in the state's history, which arrived in Orangeburg on the Presbyterian Church grounds and camped out for three days.
The city had been able to have one of the highest concentrations of Confederate sympathizers in South Carolina at the time, and it was home to many potential activists.
Orangeburg is home to the IP Stanback Museum and Planetarium, named after one of South Carolina's most famous astronomers, William Henry Stanbacks. It has a museum, the Orangeburg County Natural History Museum and a planetarium with the same name as the city.